In June 2015 the United States and Pakistan established an Education, Science and Technology Working Group (ESTWG) under the Bilateral Strategic Dialogue. During the official visit of the Prime Minister of Pakistan to meet with President Obama and other US officials on October 22, 2015 the two leaders discussed the proposal to establish US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor and directed their respective governments to intensify their cooperation in this important framework to achieve the ambitious priority targets of developing high level human capital envisioned in Pakistan’s policy document Vision 2025.
2nd Meeting of the ESTWG was held in 29th February 2016 in Washington DC to develop a joint action plan for operationalizing the US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor and its salient elements. In general US agreed to support Pakistan’s efforts to strengthen its University system by jointly increasing the number of Pakistani faculty who obtain their Ph.D. in the US universities.
According to the Plan, ten thousand (10,000) Pakistani scholars will join US universities in next ten years as an effort of the Government of Pakistan to train its faculty resources in identified subject areas.
As Phase-I, 1500 scholarships will be financed through Public Sector Development Program (PSDP) and the project has been approved in ECNEC, held on Jan 25, 2017.
HEC has announced Opportunities for Pakistani Scholars to pursue PhD studies in Top US Universities under US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor from fall, 2017. The Scholars can apply from 09 February, 2017 on the link: http://eportal.hec.gov.pk/US-pakcorridor
Last Date of Submission of Applications is Extended to 25 March, 2017.
To Login please visit http://eportal.hec.gov.pk/US-pakcorridor
- New User Registration:
To create profile for first time user, fill in the available form on the link mentioned above.
Click on ‘Register’ for new users and follow the steps stated below:
- You will be required to create user ID by using your CNIC (without dashes) as User ID and select your password.
- Create an Account and fill the required information available on the screen.
- Click and obtain ‘Mobile Code’ on your provided mobile no. for further process. (Currently, MNC / Ported numbers are not supported)
- After receiving code on your mobile enter the code.
- Enter your email ID and click Send Code. You will receive a code on your provided email.
- Please enter a valid email ID.
- Perform code verification and click on submission.
- You will be registered successfully. Please check your email for further information.
- You will be required enter your created ‘User ID’ & ‘Password’ then ‘Sign in’ on HEC E-portal.
- Complete online profile section wise at http://eportal.hec.gov.pk
- Click ‘Scholarships and Grants’ on left ‘Navigation’ and then ‘US-PAK Knowledge Corridor Application’.
- Now follow instructions, fill and submit the form successfully.
2. ‘Sign In’ for applicants who already have Common Profile at HEC E Portal:
- If you already created user ID at http://eportal.hec.gov.pk , then click & enter User ID and password and ‘Sign in’ and proceed further for scholarship by Clicking ‘Scholarships and Grants’ on left ‘Navigation’ and then ‘US-PAK Knowledge Corridor Application’.
- Now follow instructions, fill and submit the form successfully.
Pakistani citizens/nationals with strong academic histories, committed to returning and serving Pakistan are welcome to apply. Applicants are especially encouraged in these priority fields defined on national need basis: the broad categories are Arts & Humanities; Design & Media; Water Resources & Energy, Social Sciences, Physical Sciences, Business Sciences, Agriculture & Food security, Veterinary Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Emerging Technology, Nano-Technology, Computers, Medical & Allied Health Sciences, Bio-Technology, Telecommunications, Human-made Materials, Robotics, Microelectronics.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be Pakistani citizen/national/AJK nationals who meet other criteria.
- Have MS, M Phil or equivalent degree (18 years of formal education) from an accredited university/institution approved by Higher Education Commission, prior to this program, relating to selected fields for the PhD Degree Program.
- Have a maximum age of 40 for regular faculty members and researchers of public sector universities/R&D organizations, subject to NOC issuance and for all others maximum age of 35 at the time of closing date of application submission.
- Have an active commitment to serve the universities/R&D organizations in Pakistan after the completion of studies under the scheme. All selected applicants are required to sign a bond to return back and work in Pakistan for a minimum of five years upon completion of degree program.
- Individuals who have availed/availing any other HEC scholarship are eligible for this scholarship program subject to approval by Steering Committee, US-Pak Knowledge Corridor, HEC.
- The scholars who have already secured admission or enrolled in PhD program in top 200 QS ranked US universities (Overall Ranking), in the above fields may also apply for scholarship. Preference will be given to those applicants who have obtained tuition fee waivers from ranked US universities.
- Have acquired the valid GRE/GMAT/GRE Subject & TOEFL scores required for admission in US universities. Under the new scoring system, minimum scores of 138 in the verbal and 136 in the quantitative sections are required. However higher scores will be required than the minimum threshold for admission in top 200 QS ranked US universities.
- Academic merit based on HEC-AEF calculator will also be applicable.
- Have maximum 2 Second Divisions throughout the academic career.
- Have no 3rd Division or grade D in his/her career.
- Not less than 50% marks in academic career.
The grant will be offered for maximum period of 5 years on the basis of academic merit, & US university acceptance letter. The grant will not cover the tuition fee. HEC reserves the right to postpone or cancel the grant at any stage.
Please note that HEC attested documents are not required with the application. Only send the print of online application form, duly signed before the deadline, at the HEC address given in the advertisement. Hard copy of the pre-requisite documents will be required after initial shortlisting & PMU HEC will intimate successful candidates accordingly.
Plagiarism in an application can lead to disqualification at any stage of the program.
– See more at: http://hec.gov.pk/english/scholarshipsgrants/US-Pakcorridor/Pages/Eligibility-Criteria.aspx#sthash.BpaxAAxL.dpuf